Saturday 6 April 2013

The Interrogative Mood: A Novel? by Padgett Powell





A Novel? Not quite, but this book certainly provided me with some light entertainment, that I really didn't think I'd get from a book that comprised solely of questions. Essentially the book takes you on a thought provoking journey of nonsense...

OK I'm not really selling this book am I?

The fact is, the book is cleverly written, quite scarily gets inside your mind and pokes fun at your answers but the questions asked, also give you pause for thought, some make you NEED to look up the answers online; some do not have a correct answer! It takes you through a series of emotions such as guilt, laughter and concern.

"Have you ever heard the saying, life is a sandwich of activity between two periods of bed-wetting?"

"Do you know what the longest military siege in history was?"

"If one of three planes was destined to crash, killing either the entire football team, the entire marching band or the entire cheerleading squad and you had to decide which plane was destined to crash, which plane would you select?"

The above questions are just a few examples, mostly the questions are cleverly laid out, to follow on from the last or a previous question.

This book would have received 5 stars from me, but many of the American references were lost on someone from the UK who doesn't follow US television or sports.

Should I discourage you from reading this book? If I were to ask you, have you ever picked up a book you didn't think you'd like, but upon completion was entirely surprised at your enjoyment of said book, what would you say? And If I were to say that this, simple, quick and quirky read may provide you with such enjoyment, would you still wish that I had tried to discourage you?







Review by Vicki Lawrence

Buy on Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Please enter by posting a question in the comments box :-)

    ReplyDelete